Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Blue for Breakfast


Time to revive this blog.... material seems to be an issue but then I remembered that I'd originally thought of using this to record my cooking/baking adventures. Been having a bit of those lately so why not?

Yesterday morning I made these blueberry crumb bars (adapted from an AllRecipe's recipe) and today it's breakfast. A day in the fridge hasn't hurt it at all.


***

Blueberry Crumb Bars

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup oats (quick cooking)
1 cup butter, cubed and chilled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can blueberry pie filling


  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a 13x9 or 12x12 pan.
  2. Combine (sift/whisk/fork)  flour with baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix in sugar and oats.
  3. Cut butter into the flour mixture until sandy.
  4. Mix in eggs. Crumb mixture will hold when you squeeze in your hand.
  5. Press half of the crumbs into the prepared pan. Spread pie filling over top and lightly pat remaining crumb mixture over it.
  6. Bake foe 40-50 minutes or until top is lightly golden (sides will brown earlier so watch out).

The original recipe did call for 4 cups of fresh blueberries but since they're not available in my part of the hemisphere I have to make do with canned substitute.

I'm thinking of subbing the berries with other fruits. I'll let you know how that goes.

^



No comments: